Conference website (Turin, 22-26 july 2013)
Mario Barra's hommage to Emma Castelnuovo: presentation / text
MATHEMATICS EDUCATION IN A GLOBALISED ENVIRONMENT
- Knowledge and competencies.
Teacher training: What are the challenges in the face of globalization?
- How does one resolve this tension between a global approach, and between mathematical knowledge and a competence-based approach in various countries?
- What insights to these questions can experiments and research in mathematics education provide?
- In a mathematics class, do we evaluate knowledge or competences? And how do we evaluate them?
Reports of mathematics classroom practice.
- What knowing and competences should be taken into account in the training of mathematics teachers in the context of globalization to better understand their students’ knowing in order to develop them in competences?
- In relation to globalization, does it require the development of new methods of teaching mathematics and/or adaptation of existing methods in the mathematics classroom?
- What technologies should teacher training take into account in the context of globalization?
ICT, globalization and mathematics education.
- The ways in which mathematics is used to explore environmental issues,
- Students’ explorations (resources, processes, products, …) of environmental issues in the mathematics class,
- The limitations and emerging tensions of such an approach to mathematics education
- Teachers’ and students’ reflections on their activities (their local contexts)
Multiculturalism and teaching/learning mathematics
- Is it possible to understand a globalized world without a minimum of ICT culture?
- What may be this minimum?
- How can school take into account the skills and competencies developed by young people in their everyday life?
- What is the impact of multiculturalism on the culture of the mathematics classroom?
- How does the influence of multiculturalism manifest itself in students' mathematical learning and mathematical skills?
- How to take advantage of a multicultural environment to enrich the teaching and learning of mathematics?
- How does the teaching and learning of mathematics develop in multilingual environments?